CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Big Frank

Our turtle died this morning.
We had a red eared slider named Franklin aka Big Frank. She was 7 years old. My brother bought her for me in downtown LA. She was the size of a quarter when I got her. We used to sit her on our dog's nose and take silly pictures of her. She got much bigger over the years. I got her right before I got our dog Ashes who was the 'baby' of our house before we had the twins. The girls liked Franklin. They enjoyed watching her swim and seeing the fish swim around in her tank before she gobbled them up. I'm not too sure if they will really notice that she is missing. We most likely won't say anything to them as they are too young to understand anyways but it got me thinking. Of course I am sad that Frank died. I got teary-eyed for a few minutes when Tony called to tell me. But she was just a turtle. She didn't really interact with us. Once she got bigger she would snap at us so we stopped taking her out of her tank in fear of getting bitten. Ashes on the other hand is also going to be 7 this year. My girls LOVE Ashes. And Ashes LOVES the girls. She is a big dog, a lab mix, so we will lucky to get another 7 years out of her. She really is an important part of our family. After all she was our first 'baby'. I know 7 years is a long time. It just got me thinking.
Hope Turtle Heaven is treating you well Big Frank.
You will be missed.

This my crazy husband dancing around with Frank on his head. I can't even begin to explain this photo without our family sounding completely insane. :)



And this is Addison sitting on Ashes back watching TV. Ashes is such a good dog.

11 comments:

Laura said...

The letting go and death thing is really hard for me... even with turtles. It just makes you realize that life has no guarantees and we have to appreciate every moment! Your dog is pretty amazing with those little girlies!

Shannon said...

I am so sorry to hear about Big Frank. Losing a pet is always a sad thing. I hope the girls don't take it too hard! Love the puppy picture too!

Lyndsey said...

I am so sorry you lost big frank! Pets are so imprortant, especially dogs in our family too! It will be a hard day but lets hope that you have many more years to enjoy with ashes :) We have Jaxon a golden retriever and he is our first 'baby' too.. So you guys got a toy hauler? do you go dirtbike riding too??

Connie said...

I'm so sorry...losing any pet is hard.

Stephanie said...

Our dogs were our first babies too. I used to cry when I went on vacation and had to leave them! I'm such a sappy one. I hate to think about losing them. I'm with Laura...letting go is a tough one. I get upset when we lose fish from our tank. Sorry about Big Frank.

Lyndsey said...

That is great! My husband and I ride dirtbikes as well.. Where are you guys going riding this year? We usually go to Red Rock, El Mirage (which is just down the street) and California City..

girlytwins said...

Thank you all so much for your nice thoughts and comments.

Doug & Stacy Fournier said...

ok, i think this is the firat time i have commented on your blog, but i notice that you have a link to mine on the side. anyway, your girls are adorable!!!! sorry to hear about Frank. it doesn't matter what the animal is, when you've had them that long, they are a part of the family! i hope Ashes is around for a long time. she looks like a wonderful dog for your girlies! Have a very happy Easter!

Lottie_Ellie said...

I am so sorry to hear that. When we were first dating my husband bought me four red ear sliders, three of whom passed away within the first two years and I cried every time. Only Skipperdee survived to adulthood. When the girls came we were just not keeping up with his care enough and so we found a nature preserve that would take him and set him free. That was really difficult. I can only imagine how traumatic it must be to have one pass away after so long.

I have told Churchill over and over that he needs to defy nature and live to be at least 60, so we will see if he listens.

Debra said...

So sorry about Frank. That is hard.

jenni anne said...

i can't believe i missed this post! we just lost my parent's dog today, and i don't know what i'm going to tell the girls when we go over to their house. i can just picture them saying "where oreo?" so sad. your dog looks like a big lover!